Prep Time 45 mins (including marinating time)
Cooking Time 15 mins
- 2 rump steaks (approx. 600g)
- 2 TB palm sugar or unrefined coconut sugar 1 TB sesame oil
- 1 TB kecap manis (sweet soy)
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1 green papaya or green mango
- 1 handful torn fresh mint leaves
- 1 handful torn coriander
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1/2 cup red onion or shallots, sliced 1 carrot, peeled and shredded
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- Extra lime wedges to serve
Step 1 – Marinade the beef in a shallow bowl of sugar, sesame oil, kecap manis, fish sauce & lime juice for 30 mins in the fridge. Reserve the remaining marinade.
Step 2 – Heat up a grill plate to med-high. Add the marinated beef to the grill plate, grilling each side for 4 minutes (for a medium finish). Discard the leftover marinade.
Step 3 – Transfer the rump to a plate and loosely cover with foil, stand for 4-5 minutes to rest & then slice thinly to serve.
Step 4 – Prep your salad by thinly julienning the papaya (or mango) & carrots then add to a bowl the tamarind, chilli, onion, sprouts & herbs.
Step 5 – Add the leftover marinade sauce from Step 1 & stir through.
Step 6 – Serve your salad on a large platter and top with sliced rump. Enjoy!